Director of Marketing and Communications - Full-Time
The Director of Marketing and Communications for Saint Viator High School is responsible for the development and implementation of the high school’s comprehensive communications strategy. Building brand loyalty, creating a consistent voice, developing and enforcing approved school messaging, creating effective materials, managing internal and external communications, and expanding awareness and community engagement are central to this position’s success. The overall output of the communications efforts must address three primary objectives:
1) Drive enrollment numbers to preferred levels,
2) Increase alumni and parent participation levels, and
3) Elicit financial contributions to targeted levels.
S/he oversees the development and approval of all communications content and messaging, the selection of media utilized, and scheduling. S/he is responsible for conceiving, creating, and placing of all external communications content, either through their own work or by coordinating and supervising work efforts of other staff, vendors, and students. S/he will be responsible for oversight of the Saint Viator High School website content, school news, A Lion for Life magazine, enrollment brochures, development communications, alumni communications, social media, video messaging, and all other tactics used to meet the communications objectives of the school. This person will work with authorized content owners to create content that is both informative and engaging, ensuring message consistency and brand alignment.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- Work with the President and Vice President of Advancement to develop the school’s comprehensive communications strategy, which includes communication purpose, media channel utilization, messaging content, targeted constituent group(s), and timing.
- Manage communications staff and vendors to ensure priorities and deadlines are met, to ensure adherence to branding and messaging objectives and to ensure that all work product being created by the department is of the highest quality and consistent with school policies and standards.
- Create school-wide communications calendar for major events and activities to ensure organization-wide effectiveness in coordinated, timely communication.
- Develop a communications plan that produces efficiencies in both time and expenditures to create content that can be re-purposed across multiple outlets.
- Create overview, write content for, edit, and proof outgoing printed, video, and electronic materials.
- Supervise assigned staff and coordinate efforts of other assigned personnel in efforts to support Academic Departments, Advancement Office, Athletics, Fine Arts, Campus Ministry and parent- and alumni-lead clubs/organizations.
- Serve as direct liaison to the Board of Trustees and the Marketing and Communications Committee of the Board. Participate in additional official committees and meetings as needed to support the communication goals of the school.
- Oversee and enforce Saint Viator High School’s branding policy.
- Analyze data and review effectiveness of all communications to continually improve results and ROI.
- Meet periodically with Administration, Department Leads and other key personnel to explain annual strategy and to discuss specific communications needs and concerns of those parties.
- Serve as the primary press contact for the school. Coordinate and oversee any press requests for interviews and manage distribution of press materials.
- Oversee the media interactions of the Saint Viator High School Communications Office staff to support school organization associates in supplying the various media outlets with newsworthy information regarding Saint Viator on a consistent basis.
- Create media opportunities to raise the school’s profile.
- Provide planning, guidance, and messaging for crisis communications.
Website and Social Media
- Ensure the Saint Viator website contains content that is accurate, timely, and appropriately represents the Viatorian mission and academic excellence standards of Saint Viator High School.
- Develop and execute a content strategic plan to ensure effective utilization of the website to meet primary objectives as stated in the Job Summary above.
- Oversee generation of content and monitoring all Saint Viator High School social media sites by Communications staff to ensure appropriate and consistent content.
- Oversee proofing of all content created or submitted by others for web page posting with assistance from Communications staff.
- Provide website content creation training to authorized content managers from the Administration, Academic departments, Advancement Office, Athletic Department, Fine Arts and Campus Ministry/Christian Service organizations
- Create monthly analytics reports for tracking and measuring communications effectiveness.
- Manage in-house and freelance staff for writing projects.
- Work with the Director of Enrollment on development of enrollment materials for prospective family and student events (Open House, Entrance Exam, Game Day, etc.)
- Oversee Communications staff work on the design, development of content, and production of required enrollment materials for prospective parents and students.
- Provide supervisory oversight to the writing and production of the school’s Annual Report working with the Advancement Office associates and Business Office Controller.
- Oversee master content selection and scheduling for quarterly A Lion for Life magazines. Proof final version of magazine.
- Work with Development team on the design, development, and proofing of print and related promotion material of Advancement Office events.
- Write communication material from the President, Principal, and faculty as needed.
- Provide supervisory oversight to the production of primary event and school messaging videos and ensure timely distribution across web and social media channels.
- Provide supervisory oversight for photo/video shoots as necessary to support various school organization events as noted above.
Additional Job Functions
- Communications activities assigned by school President, Principal, or Vice President of Advancement as situations require.
- Work with parent and alumni organizations as needed with projects that promote their events.
- Attend major Saint Viator Advancement Special Events functions to help in the areas of planning and on-site support.
Prerequisites & Background Experience
- Alumni of Saint Viator High School preferred but not mandatory.
- BA or BS: with a minimum of 3-5 years professional experience in Communications or Marketing including experience in developing strategies, brand management, copywriting, and budget responsibilities
- Working knowledge of MS Office, Blackbaud website management tools, Adobe Creative Suite, project management and communication tools such as Monday.com and Slack, and social media platforms.
- Experience working in school or educational environment preferred
Personal Characteristics & Skills
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to Saint Viator President, Mr. Brian Liedlich, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment, supporting multiple departments
- Excellent program management skills; proven ability to handle high volume of projects in a timely, professional manner.
- Advanced communication skills: verbal, written, and common computer programs in MS Office
- Excellent proofreader
- Outstanding interpersonal, collaboration skills
- Detail and deadline oriented
- Willing to go “above and beyond,” working with a flexible schedule, including some evenings and weekends
- Able to maintain confidentiality