Video Demonstration for entering Christian Service Hours
This page offers information about the Christian Service and Outreach Program at Saint Viator High School.
Each year, students are required to complete 25 hours of Christian Service as part of their graduation requirement. This reflects a commitment to our mission as a Viatorian school and our conviction that service to others is a constitutive element of the Christian life.
Saint Viator High School's Christian Service Experience Guide will answer most of your questions about the Christian Service requirement, including the number of hours and the type of service that is accepted. If you have questions regarding the Christian Service Experience, please contact Ms. Betsy Fons.
- Christian Service reflects our commitment to our mission as a Viatorian school and our conviction that service to others is a constitutive element of the Christian life.
- Students complete 25 hours each year; 100 hours over four years
- 50 after-school service trips offered each year to area soup kitchens, nursing homes and other local organizations
- Over 350 agencies served each year, including Special Olympics, Catholic Charities, NWSRA
- Over 35,000 hours completed each year by students
- Season of Sharing provided Christmas gifts for 300 clients of Howard Area Community Center in Chicago
- Our emergency assistance fund weekly collections raise over $15,000 annually for various charities
- Week long trips include Chicago Urban Plunges and Habitat for Humanity, giving students a high-impact experience. The goal of these trips is empathy, compassion and a desire to serve.
Throughout the year, service projects will be made available to the students. The list of service opportunities will be updated as new experiences become available. If you have questions about a service opportunity, you may contact the agency directly or Ms. Fons.
Permission forms for the service trips that Saint Viator takes students on each month are available in the Christian Service Office.
There are many opportunities for students to participate in our Outreach Ministry. This ministry is constantly evolving and new opportunities are being added throughout the year.
Students can be a part of the LOTTO Team. LOTTO stands for Lions Outreach That Transforms Ourselves/Others. To be a part of LOTTO, students can fill out the
LOTTO APPLICATION FORM
Each week we have a Loaves and Fishes collection that raises money for local people in need referred to us through partnering social service agencies.
Students can assist as Service Project Coordinators and help plan events such as the Run with the Pride 5K, Season of Sharing Holiday Gift Program, Monthly Food Collections for local food pantries and other special events throughout the year.
Outreach to area grade schools include retreats, classroom visits and other faith based contacts with grade school students.