Summer Service Opportunities|
Any student who has completed his/her Christian Service requirement for the current school year may start completing their service hours for next school year (2014-2015) at this time. However, we are asking students NOT to submit those hours online yet.
We are in the process of updating the system students use to enter their service hours. We hope to have the new system ready for use by July. We will send an email to all parents when the new system is up and running and hours for the 2014-2015 school year can be submitted online.
In the interim, please keep a personal record of all service hours completed for the 2014-2015 school year until they can be entered into the new system.
Run with the Pride 5K Run/Walk
Ms. Betsy Fons
Coordinator of Christian Leadership, Service and Outreach
Each year, students are required to complete 25 hours of Christian Service as part of their graduation requirement. This reflects a commitment to our mission as a Viatorian school and our conviction that service to others is a constitutive element of the Christian life.
Saint Viator High School's Christian Service Experience Guide will answer most of your questions about the Christian Service requirement, including the number of hours and the type of service that is accepted. If you have questions regarding the Christian Service Experience, please contact Ms. Betsy Fons, Christian Service Coordinator at extension 268.
- Christian Service reflects our commitment to our mission as a Viatorian school and our conviction that service to others is a constitutive element of the Christian life.
- Students complete 25 hours each year; 100 hours over four years
- 50 after-school service trips offered each year to area soup kitchens, nursing homes and other local organizations
- Over 350 agencies served each year, including Special Olympics, Catholic Charities, NWSRA
- Over 35,000 hours completed each year by students
- Season of Sharing provided Christmas gifts for 300 clients of Howard Area Community Center in Chicago
- Our emergency assistance fund weekly collections raise over $15,000 annually for various charities
- Week long trips include Chicago Urban Plunges and Habitat for Humanity, giving students a high-impact experience. The goal of these trips is empathy, compassion and a desire to serve.
Throughout the year, service projects will be made available to the students. The list of service opportunities will be updated as new experiences become available. If you have questions about a service opportunity, you may contact the agency directly or Ms. Fons.
Permission forms for the service trips that Saint Viator takes students on each month are available in the Christian Service Office.